ShareSync: Desktop Sync FAQ
Q: Which file type are blocked by Desktop sync client (not synchronized)?
- Files starting with ~$ ?.tmp files ?desktop.ini ?thumbs.db
- Files with names that contain the following characters: <, >, |, *, ?, “, /, \, :
- Reserved names: “.”, “..”, “CON”, “PRN”, “AUX”, “CLOCK$”, “NUL”, “COM0”, “COM1”, “COM2”, “COM3”, “COM4”, “COM5”, “COM6”, “COM7”, “COM8”, “COM9”, “LPT0”, “LPT1”, “LPT2”, “LPT3”, “LPT4”, “LPT5”, “LPT6”, “LPT7”, “LPT8”, “LPT9”
Q: Are Hidden Files & Folders being Synchronized?
- Hidden files should be synced as well as hidden folders.
Q: How long can a file path be?
- Windows does not allow file paths longer than 256 characters. For this reason, ShareSync for Windows will not download any files that result in a path length of more than 256 characters. To prevent this, we recommend moving folders on ShareSync to limit deep folder hierarchies.
- The full path of Microsoft Office documents includes the drive letter, and all characters and folder names up to and including the name of the document. The entire path cannot be longer than 242 characters in Word, or 218 characters in Excel.
Q: Are Microsoft Office temporary files being synchronized?
- When Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc…) opens a file, it will often save a temporary file in the same directory. Office prepends these files with “~$”. ShareSync does not sync these files, or any other files whose names start with the tilde and dollar sign.
Q: Can I install ShareSync to virtual environment?
- ShareSync currently only supports installing and syncing to the internal harddisk on the native operating system. Virtual machines and virtual user profiles are not currently supported.
Q: Can I use ShareSync on external hard drive?
- We recommend only syncing to a local hard drive. Do not use desktop Sync client with flash drives, external hard drives, network drives, or any external media.